Sunday, July 30, 2006

Oh, I get it!

Ever had one of those “Oh, I get it!” moments? There are some variations to it. In the classroom, you’d hear it the whole class goes, “ooohhhhrrrrrr….” together, at the same pitch and tempo. (It remains one of the most unique and fascinating things about Singapore for me.) In the recent Jap craze, people also say, “So, desu neh!”

And yes, I experience my “Oh, I get it!” moment last night. I’d been going through a dying process in the past 2 years, and the past few months’ was more prolonged and intense than before. Why must I do this? Why can’t I do my own thing? Why must things be so difficult? Wanted to be rebellious, knowing that it was wrong, yet not wanting to change because it would simply take too much effort and courage to change. Being in the wrong AND knowing it YET persisting in it – if that’s not death, what is? Today I give up one pearl though I don’t want to, tomorrow it’s a gold coin. Next week? There’s just no end to dying.

That all came to light last night. I was dying to myself. That’s normal …. Jesus said, “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?” (Matt 16:24-26)

In other words - CSL’s - verse 24 says I must:
Deny self (“deny himself”)
Identify with Christ (‘take up his cross”)
Exemplify Him (“follow me”)

So that’s what I was going through…… I’ve done #1, but haven’t reached #2-3. How to do that? Live in Christ – Death was never meant to stand alone or have the final say. Paul taught the Romans that:
- Count yourselves dead to sin but alive to god (6:11)
- The wages of sing is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (6:23)
- Your body is dead … yet your spirit is alive. (7:10)

And you know what? It’s Friday, but Sunday’s coming!*

*Quoting Tony Campollo

0 comments: