Have been reading a Psalm a day. 61 days of reading "God, help! I can't do it without you, 'cos you're the only who can, and has, helped me" is not without its effects. Yesterday it dawned upon me that the power of the Psalms is not in how wonderfully strong the psalmists are (they always praise God no matter how difficult or desperate their situations are). Instead the Psalms resonate up till today because the psalmists are just as weak as we are. Proof that I'm terribly blind and stubborn - it took me a 90-minute sermon and 61 days before I finally understood the message. This happened when I re-packaged Psalm 61 yesterday.
This re-writing/repackaging - or remix, if you like - is a song that says, even when I find it hard to believe you, God, I'll just ask you to help me in my weakness. Help me in my unbelief. This is an expression that I will hide under His wings. I will rest in Him. I also like how The Message version expresses "I will fulfill my vows day after day" as "I will live what I sing every day."
I want to hide in the shelter of Your wings
I long to dwell in Your tent forever
Lord, hear my cry as my heart grows faint
Lead me to the rock higher than I
Chorus:
From the ends of the earth I call
Forever and more, I praise Your name
My strong tower, my refuge
Lift me up and I'll live
What I sing everyday
Always be full of joy in the Lord. Always be glad because of the Lord! Rejoice in the Lord always. Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him! I will say it again: REJOICE! (Philippians 4:4 - various versions)
Sunday, March 02, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment