Thursday, August 14, 2008

Lemmings

Recently discovered (or re-discovered) Lemmings. A friend tells me lemmings are rat-like creatures (which I confirm after looking it up in the dictionary). But I always thought Lemmings were these cute green-haired creatures, sort of like Willy Wonka’s oompa loompas. Read: they’re a bunch of people who are indistinguishable from each other, and who do what you tell them to.

Anyway, these green-haired obedient Lemmings were last seen when I was in secondary school, in a PC game. In this game, Lemmings are “released” (from a trapdoor!) and they walk to the right (brainlessly). Your job as the player is to save them from falling into black holes, by making them build ladders, dig, burrow, etc so that they eventually walk into their “home”. Once you have saved the required number of Lemmings, you proceed to the next level of difficulty.

I was excited to find that Lemmings is available FREE! online. Here’s a screenshot of the game:
And here are the Lemmings in action.

This screenshot shows a bloke blocking the rest, so that they don’t fall into the black hole that the guy on the right is “covering” by building a ladder.
Here’s the ladder guy, now tunneling through rock.
Here’s the ladder-tunnel guy, now going home.

And my favourite part – exploding everyone off! One click, and they all countdown to explosion.
Note the numbers above the Lemmings' heads.
The mass-explosion button is my favourite button in the game because they’re so cute when they explode. First they shake their heads from side to side, then they go off in a puff of fireworks.
Beautiful.


There are still many puzzles I can't solve yet. Think I only completed 2 or 3 puzzles in the Taxing level. So far, there are no takers for my game. My colleagues are unimpressed. I'll try again when I can afford the time!

0 comments: