Thursday, January 15, 2009

Woot!

Relieved at having survived the first week of school, I sent an sms to a close friend. To express my jubliation, the word “woot” came instinctively to me. Not that I’ve ever used the word before. I’ve read or heard it, but really can’t remember which, or where. But it must mean “Yay!” … rite?

A quick google shows that it means a lot more than that:
1. It originated from from players of Dungeons of Dragons (now I remember playing that like 20 years ago!), shortening “Wow, loot!” (after a player kills another and finds loot)
2. “Yay!” is the most common urban usage – expressing joy and/or excitement
3. Acronym for Waste Of Our Time
4. Acronym for Way Out Of Topic
5. A company is actually named Woot…some internet-based thing, I think. Seems like a large one too.

In fact, Merriam-Webster (the dictionary) named “woot” the word of the year. 2007. Hmmmm…I’m really behind time.

0 comments: