Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Chicken Soup for the cold

A cold is a terrible thing to have. There's no medicine to cure it, though you can take some to relieve the symptoms. After reading so much about the wonders of chicken soup for colds, I decided to try it out myself.

Recipes call for chicken with bone and fat (boiling them releases something that stops the sniffles), carrot, sweet potato, onion, celery, parsley, turnip and parsnip. I skipped the last three because they are rarely used in my kitchen. Besides, there's only so much I can eat.

Sniffling and snivelling, with a box of tissues by my side, I started trimming off some excess fat from two chicken legs, boiled them while I cut the vegetables, threw them in (and some peas as an afterthought), simmered the soup till I was too hungry to wait anymore, and got myself a portion:

I would have prefered potato over sweet potato, because now the soup looked perfectly orange. But the soup was superbly sweet and tasty, so sweet potato wasn't a bad choice after all. This was the other portion left for dinner: The soup was so good, I finished the rest of the soup in the same sitting!

For dinner, I had to finish the leftovers, so I de-boned the chicken leg, boiled rice with the bone and added some greens. If you look hard enough, you can see some rice grains:

0 comments: