Wednesday, March 16, 2005

COULD IT BE

Simon Lee, 40, was found dead at the foot of Tampines Block 470 on Monday, 7 March 2005. Hours later, police found his wife, Jesslyn, and their two children Jonathan, 11, and Sheena, 4, dead in their flat. Simon Lee killed his family before jumping down to his death, out of despair over the huge debts he owed loansharks.

Last Saturday Pastor Lawrence Khong revealed during Youth service that by God’s grace, Simon had successfully steered clear from his addiction to gambling years ago, paid off his $100, 000 debts and also mended his broken marriage with Jesslyn. He became an active church member in the Hokkien fellowship and played the guitar during services. He was certainly a testimony of the Lord’s goodness and power for those who believe. Yet who would have thought that he gave in to his gambling addiction last year, and again accumulated huge amounts of debts.

His fall from grace is one that I can identify with – many times I stumble despite God’s grace, letting Him down, frustrating His plans for my life. I guess we have all echoed Paul at some point, “do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.” (Romans 7:15) But hey, Jesus has already won the victory for us, defeating death and sin when He rose from the grave!

I just feel that this song that I’d written just hours before touches the heart of what Pastor Khong shared: There is therefore no condemnation any longer! Besides, if God is for us, who can be against us? And we can be confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion (“flourishing finish” – The Message) until the day of Christ Jesus. (Philippians 1:6) Yes, even despite our weaknesses. Despite our weak wills. Despite our wandering hearts. Praise God!
COULD IT BE

Verse 1:
I’ve heard about Your plan
That You so loved the world
You sent Your only Son to pay for our sins
Heard You tell Your twelve
To make disciples
Go to the world, teach them Your ways

Bridge:
But I realise
I may be good enough
For a day or two
But never long enough

Chorus 1:
Could it be – that You have
A destiny for me?
Could it be that – I’m the one
To make Your light shine forth?
But could it be that – I can’t be
What You call me to?
Could it be that – I am just
Never good enough?

Verse 2:
I’ve tried so many times
To stay close to You
Read my Bible and pray everyday
Tried to be a good Christian
To the world outside
Be an example of Your endless love

Bridge, Chorus 1

Chorus 2:
Could it be that – You are God
Who loves me anyway
Could it be that –You are just
Bigger than my sin

Could it be that finally
All my weaknesses
Will be swept away by Your love
Could it be that finally
I’ll be made
Perfect in Your love
For performance of the song, please contact Huiling a.k.a. Joyce a.k.a Wei Ling. Payment of the unplugged concert will be one (1) dinner, fine cusine. Negotiations possible. Grace offered.

1 comments:

es said...

please kindly perform on thursday games event. Music can be provided upon request. Audience antipicipating.