I’m going to miss Asher. Not that I know him very well. But he’s just so loveable. I tell everyone I meet about him, and show them his picture. I’m completely charmed by him, and can’t wait for the next meeting with him. And he’s only 4 years old. You see, he’s one of the kids in Sunday school. I’d been going to Sunday school for the past 10 weeks for nursery duty, otherwise I wouldn’t be qualified to be Missus.
Back to Asher. He likes to play with the toy police-car. “Pooli kah!” He showed me happily. I gave him a chocolate biscuit once, which he ate.
“Is the biscuit nice?” I asked him.
“Ya,” he replied. “My koo al-doh got be-kate” (Translation: My school also got biscuit.)
“Oh, this is chocolate biscuit. You like chocolate?”
Asher nodded. “My home got tok-klat.’
When we sing action songs during Sunday school, he follows the actions, usually a step behind the adults - but how cute to see him trying. When we tell stories, he listens. He doesn’t shout out the answers to our questions like some of the other kids - but how cute to see him rapt in attention. And sometimes, while he’s listening, he takes my hand in his little ones. I ask you, how can your heart not go out to him?
Without fail, I say goodbye to him at the end of each week’s Sunday school. That’s my favourite part. I always ask him for a hug, which he gladly – more than that, wholeheartedly – gives. He literally throws himself into my arms, often causing me to lose my balance, so enthusiastic is he. And out of his own free will, he plants kisses onto my cheek – one, two, three, four – in quick succession. It’s this show of affection that I look forward to each week, and it’s the highlight of Sunday school.
Well, I’ve completed my 10 weeks of duty, and I’m sure going to miss Asher. I look at him and wonder what’s so loveable about him. That he makes mistakes? Well, not that, but just seeing the beginnings of the growth of a child, seeing him learn. And definitely his willing affections.
When I look at Asher, I’m also reminded of God the Father’s love for us. I’m sure God delights in our growing process and efforts, even if we stumble at times (tho I’m sure he’s not so keen on mistakes we make with full knowledge of transgression). And I’m convinced that it’s our display of affection for him that he looks forward to each week, each day. Especially if we throw our whole self into him. Now when was the last time I did that?
*to put your whole weight on someone is to have faith in him; to trust him completely - With all your heart you must trust the LORD and not your own judgment. Always let him lead you, and he will clear the road for you to follow. (Proverbs 3:5-6, CEV)
Always be full of joy in the Lord. Always be glad because of the Lord! Rejoice in the Lord always. Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him! I will say it again: REJOICE! (Philippians 4:4 - various versions)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment