Just that day, I decided to read The Message version of the bible. And some words just jumped out at me - the modern language really makes it a refreshing read. Many times I found myself saying, “Did Jesus really say that?” or “I never thought of it that way!” Yup that’s what the Bible’s supposed to do for us – challenge our assumptions and habits, re-examine our lives - Change your life. God’s kingdom is here.
A look at some of the verses I’ve taken for granted, and have thus dulled in meaning for me (tho I admit some of the translations have been diluted somewhat):
Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven. (In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.)
Grow up. You're kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you. (Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.)
Follow me. Pursue life. (Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.)
You took a risk of faith, and now you're well. (Your faith has healed you.)
Your turn -
Quiz: Did Jesus really say this?
Become what you believe. (Answer)
What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. (Answer here. Well, sorta around there, lah)
Always be full of joy in the Lord. Always be glad because of the Lord! Rejoice in the Lord always. Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him! I will say it again: REJOICE! (Philippians 4:4 - various versions)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment