Everyone looks forward to the year-end, with Christmas and New Year - more for the celebrations, presents, public holidays than anything else. Me, so busy with activities that I was dreading the Christmas period, and quite bitter about it too. A really hectic and tiring period, so much so that my parents wondered why they hadn't seen me for 3 days, and when they sms'd me to ask me, I didn't receive the sms coz my mailbox was full.
After the busy-ness, I took a day out and read "The Practice of the Presence of God" by a monk from the 1600s called Brother Lawrence. What's amazing about this monk is that he was able to pray continuously - such that there was no difference between his prayer time and any other time. He was in such deep constant communication with God that the spiritual world was more real to him than the physical world. He sounds a bit fanatical & mystical, but really - isn't that what we're supposed to be like? Just because we can't do it doesn't mean it isn't how we're created to be. How fallen we are!
If I were like Brother Lawrence, I wouldn't be so tired and bewildered amidst the busy-ness that I face and will face more of. I would instead be like a Ponitini waiter.
Since last Fri, I've been raving to everyone who would listen about Pontini, this Italian restaurant in Grand Corpthorne Waterfront. They have such wonderful service that just speaking to the waiters makes me feel happy. When you ask for something, they know exactly what you want and do it for you to perfection. Even when you don't ask for something, they anticipate what you want and it is done. When they are serving you, there's no one else in the world. These are waiters who truly know how to wait. I want to be like that too! I even contemplated quitting the education service to wait in Pontini. (If I were a Pontini waitress, I can start giving out free wines & stuff like my waiter did!)
Always be full of joy in the Lord. Always be glad because of the Lord! Rejoice in the Lord always. Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him! I will say it again: REJOICE! (Philippians 4:4 - various versions)
Thursday, December 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment