Sunday, April 06, 2008

Beef stew

I would have liked to say that I cooked up a storm yesterday. But subdued cooking techniques yield great results too. I’ve forgotten to take photos of my lunch - teochew-muay lunch witih steamed fish (my first!), tomato omelette (a legacy from my Lijiang trip some years back) and stir-fried veg. But here’s a photo of my dinner - beef stew:

I did the blue-collar job of washing, peeling, chopping and manning the machinery. Hubby did the white-collar job of taste-engineering. Herbs and spices later, we had 2 dinners and a lunch prepared.

How to:
*Dump potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, large onions, beef chunks (ensure there’s some fat for a tender and succulent meal), salt and crushed black pepper in a slow cooker.
*For a western-style meal, add italian herbs. Potatoes can be mashed up within the stew to create a thick gravy.
*To make a soup instead of a stew, add more water.

Acknowledgements:
Annabelle’s parents, who made the dish first and gave pointers.

0 comments: