These jokes are so classic, I think many people in my generation haven’t even heard of them. You can trace their origins to my father’s generation. This is a tribute to our nation's addiction to shorten everything....but have you ever wondered what those acronyms REALLY stand for?
I’m sure most people know the political ones:
PAP (People's Action Party) = Pay and Pay (I’m sure it’s a reference to the countless fines imposed for each offence one can think of)
WP (Workers' Party) = Why Pay?
SDP (Social Democratic Party) = So Don’t Pay
But here are the everyday (but no less political) ones:
PUB (Public Utilities Board ) = Pay Until Broke
PWD (Public Works Department) = Purposely Wanna Dig
TAS (Telephone Authority of Singapore - the predecessor of Telecoms) = Telephone Always Spoil
JTC (Jurong Town Corporation ) = Jokers’ Training College
SBS (Singapore Bus Service ) = See Buay Slow or See Buay Squeezy
SDU (Singapore Development Unit) = Single, Desperate, Ugly or So Damn Ugly
MRTC (MRT Corporation - the predecessor of SMRT ) More Road Tax Coming
I tried my hand at this, and here’s what I came up with:
HDB (Housing Development Board ) = House Dem Big (it’s sarcastic, lah)
MOE (Ministry of Education) = Mugging Only Everytime
ISD (Internal Security Department) = Increased Security Demanded!
MINDEF (MINistry of DEFence) = MINute DEtails also Fret
LTA (Land Transport Authority ) = Later Then Act (jam sommore, nehmine)
GST (Goods and Services Tax ) = Going Soon, Ten (percent lah,)
NEA (National Environment Agency) = Newater Enough Already
SMRT (Singapore Mass Rapid Transit) = Some More Road Tax?!
Vote your favourite acronym! 2 awards to be given:
1. Best classic Singaporean acronym
2. Best newcomer Singaporean acronym
Always be full of joy in the Lord. Always be glad because of the Lord! Rejoice in the Lord always. Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him! I will say it again: REJOICE! (Philippians 4:4 - various versions)
Wednesday, October 01, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment