Saturday, August 28, 2010

Pregnancy makes everyone stupid

You've heard the myth that pregnancy makes the pregger scatter-brained or forgetful. Has it made me stupid? I think so. But I didn't expect the effects to spread either. Here's a collection of the darndest things people have said to me:

Student: Cher, boy or girl?
Pregnant teacher: Teacher is a girl...

Stranger: Is it a boy or a girl?
Pregger: Girl
Stranger: But it must be a boy – your tummy's sharp!
At which point, I am SO tempted to say, I guess it's a boy then - whatever you say. (For every theory you have, someone has the exact opposite theory, which he/she also claims has been proven right. Seriously, what does it matter to you whether it's a boy or girl?)

Well-meaning relative: You must take soya beans/egg custard/baby thai coconut juice / logans / xxx because it gives baby fair and smooth skin / big eyes / yyy.
If baby turns out that way, it's because of my good genes, darling! And by the way, did you hear that the coconut juice theory only works if you drink it from the coconut with a straw? (ie. it doesn't work if you drink with a spoon or pour it out into a bottle)

Well-meaning relative: You must not take black sauce / curry / [fill in any other dark-coloured food] because it makes baby's skin dirty and dark.
This makes me speechless. Partly because I'm trying darned hard not to burst out laughing.

0 comments: