Friday morning. I was (as usual) late leaving the house. After gathering my things in the most efficient manner I knew, I quickly got into the car to battle with the peak period jam. Nothing happened. I tried again. Still nothing. Well, something must be wrong with me today! 3rd try. Hmmm... what's this I see? Ah, the headlights were not turned off last night! Which means the car has no more battery.
What to do? I have to call the RAC (it's the equivalent of the Automobiles Association) for help. But wait, I'm not a member yet, though I've been meaning to call them since last week (I never got round to doing it because I had to look up their number on the internet, and I don't have internet acces, because the shop needs a bank statement as proof I can pay them, but my bank doesn't issue statements).
Well, before I confused myself, I reminded myself that I couldn't make any calls anyway, because I've run out of credits on my pre-paid mobile plan. OK, let's use the house phone. Ah, but my host doesn't have one anymore. Er, let's call hubby for help...no, I can't, because he's on morning flight today. (In other words, I'm totally cut off from the outside world, with no internet or phone access.) But let's not digress. Basically, I just need to be in school in 15 minutes time. Without the car, I'll have to take the bus or train. But i don't know how to. Hmmm...so I can't go to school. So I have to inform them that I have to take the day off – they won't mind, they're so generous, and it's not like I'm working there.... BUT I HAVE NO PHONELINE TO CALL THEM WITH.
OK, not a problem. I'll just walk to the shops to recharge my phone.
Repack my bag.
Walk to shops (only 10 minutes!) and go into Big W. Recharge phone. Call school (thank goodness I saved the number! Else I'd have to walk back to call.... at least I did one thing right...)
“Hi Sue, good morning! This is Joyce. Could you take a message for me? I'm so sorry I can't come to school today....er...I left my headlights on all night, so I couldn't start the car this morning. So I can't make my way there.”
Sue expresses sympathy, as it's happened to her too, and wishes me a good day off.
“Could you help me tell Kathleen I'm really sorry?....And you're all allowed to laugh at me.”
Always be full of joy in the Lord. Always be glad because of the Lord! Rejoice in the Lord always. Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him! I will say it again: REJOICE! (Philippians 4:4 - various versions)
Saturday, May 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment